Our second full season of collecting lineup cards started with a bang in April.
Our first game of 2016 was a college game, Tulane at the University of Connecticut. It was the first time we asked for a lineup card at a college game, and we got a surprisingly nice Tulane lineup card.
A trip to Reading, PA netted our first Portland Sea Dogs’ lineup card. We had unsuccessfully tried to get a Sea Dog lineup card in 2015.
Another goal was to get a lineup card for the new Hartford Yard Goats, which we did at a Yard Goats “home game” in Manchester, NH. The Yard Goats are playing on the road until their new stadium is completed, likely in mid-May.
Later that night, we scored our first Baltimore Orioles’ lineup card out of the bullpen after the O’s beat the Red Sox 9-5. David Ortiz hit his 506th career home run in the game to make the lineup card even a little more special.
The next day, we added a Scranton/Wilkes Barre Railrider lineup card to our collection. It was also our first International League card, another goal for this season.
A trip to the famous Yale Field, where the likes of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Ted Williams and many other notables have played, netted a beautiful Harvard University lineup card. We also got arguably the least interesting looking lineup card yet from Yale.
We walked away with the New Britain Bees lineup card in the franchise’s first-ever victory. The next day, we got “official batting order cards from Manhattan College and Quinnipiac University.
A mid-week day game resulted in another Bees lineup card along with our first Long Island Ducks lineup card to wrap up the month.
We went to nine games in April, yielding 15 lineup cards total and at least one in every game we went to. Fifteen is the most we have ever gotten in one month.
Of course there were some failures, as there always are. Most notably, we struck out on the Reading Fightin’ Phils and Pawtucket Red Sox, both of which would have been new teams for us. In both cases, we were the only ones asking for the card, so that stung a bit, but both teams lost, so that probably had something to do with us not getting either card. But we were able to get the other team’s card in both cases, so all was good.
It will be difficult to repeat those numbers in May based on our schedule, college baseball wrapping up, the short-season New York-Penn League not starting until June, and the Cam-Am League not starting until late May and the Hartford Yard Goats still playing on the road while their new stadium is finished. But we’ll give it a shot.
2016 Lineup Card Goals revisited:
- More/new MLB lineup cards [BULLPEN LINEUP CARD FROM ORIOLES AT RED SOX GAME]
- New MiLB leagues/teams
- Leagues: South Atlantic League; Midwest League; International League
- Teams: Pawtucket Red Sox, Hartford Yard Goats (new team in 2016), Reading Fightin Phils, Binghamton Mets, Portland Sea Dogs, Altoona Curve, Eerie Sea Wolves, Hagerstown Suns, Brooklyn Cyclones, Lowell Spinners, Hagerstown Suns, Lakewood BlueClaws, Potomac Nationals, Wilmington Blue Rocks, Staten Island Yankees, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Railriders West Virginia Black Bears, Williamsport Crosscutters, Mahoning Valley Scrappers, Batavia Muckdogs, etc.
- New Indy Leagues/teams
- Leagues: The Empire League (new league in 2016), Frontier League
- Teams: New Britain Bees (new team in 2016), York Revolution, Long Island Ducks, Quebec Capitales,
- NCAA: We don’t have any NCAA lineup cards yet, so any conferences/teams would be great [TULANE, HARVARD, YALE, QUINNIPIAC, MANHATTAN]
- International Teams: Our only international lineup card at the moment is from the Ottawa Champions. We should have an opportunity to try and get at least one lineup card from a team from another country